Saturday, October 7, 2017

Stop Motion with Student Actors

This week one middle school class has been experimenting with directing their peers using the stop motion animation process.  I've also asked them to experiment with creating a video by having the actors lay on the ground - in order to have more control of the scene. 

An iPad was put above students using a ladder.  Though it would be better if we could get it even higher.  It looked something like this...


The iPad was also projecting on the interactive TV so that the assisting students and I could see the shots.  Here's one of the products they were able to create.  



Monday, October 2, 2017

Chumash Cave Art

Second graders are learning about the Chumash people, so I scurried around the internet to find examples of their cave art.  Based on those images I made a handout to highlight some of the basic symbols. 

I noticed mostly reds and browns in their artwork, so students used similar colors.  After students drew a symbol, they used the end of a paint brush to stamp dots of paint around their symbol (not the brush- the opposite end!). 


We used some old wrinkly brown paper so it felt more like we were drawing on rocks!






Sunday, October 1, 2017

Leaves and Pumpkins

Elementary students are getting ready for fall! This first grade class drew leaves with Sharpies on old book pages. Then they used tempura cakes to paint inside the leaf and add a border design. 





This second grade class used tempura paint to create some pumpkins! Students mixed warm colors to get the various orange colors inside the pumpkin.  They painted a simple circle or oval, then they worked on painting the background by mixing blue and peach paints on the paper. They painted a curved rectangle for the stem and lastly used black paint to outline their pumpkins.

I used an app called Patternator to turn one student's pumpkin into this fun pattern!


Sunday, September 24, 2017

Collage California Poppies

Check out these California poppies made by 4th graders! We used up some scrap paper, which gave a nice variety of oranges and greens.  Feel free to use a variety of materials in this simple mixed media project.










Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Collaborative Collage Color Wheel

Lots of students have been slowly adding to this large color wheel made from magazine cuttings.  Students have discovered many variations of colors to add to the wheel. Its been great for early finishers or just students that enjoy contributing to a larger project. 


Mod Podge has worked great to give the wheel a nice glossy layer that makes it look "completed" - though we are still working on filling in all the colors.




Friday, September 1, 2017

Paper Maché Crayons

This week middle school students were busy observing and creating crayons!  We built the crayons pretty similarly to Cassie Stephen's paper maché crayons, using a cardboard tube and cardstock paper to create the armature. Then we spent one class period wrapping the armature with paper maché, using flour, water and a little glue. 


Before we added color and details to the sculptures, I asked students to look closely at a crayon and draw what they saw with a pencil. 


I gave students the primary colors and white in acrylic paints so that they could experiment and create their "own" crayon color. 



 


The next day, we used black construction paper to add the details.  Students could write their name in the oval, or the name of their "company" with a white colored pencil. 


To share some techniques and strategies with students, we drew a crayon together on black paper with oil pastels.  Mini Matisse has a post about how she drew crayons with students as well. 











Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Color Wheel

Here's an example of how to paint a color wheel without having students constantly wash their brush when switching paint colors. 


My middle schoolers created color wheels that included tertiary colors.  They are quite savvy on mixing colors now! 


One class also experimented with mixing primary colors (and white) in egg cartons.  They were not given water to wash their brush and I challenged them to mix colors strategically so that they would not end up with all "muddy" colors.